Thursday, November 25, 2010

November 25, 2010

Daily Verse
In everything give thanks.
1 Thessalonians 5:18

Daily Devotion
" Let us cherish Thankfulness" - Amy Carmichael

"In everything give thanks."
This is a constant word to me. It is so easy to give thanks for what one naturally chooses, but that does not cover the "every thing" of the text.
One morning lately in speaking of some small trouble, I quoted, In everything give thanks, and at once someone answered "I cannot give thanks for everything".  Now if our God tells us to do a thing and we cannot, there is something wrong somewhere, for we all know the words, " I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" ( Phillipians 4:13). It is treason to say, "I cannot." But first we should make sure that we are commanded to do this that we feel we cannot do. 

I do not not think we are to give thanks for everything. To make sure of this verse, which is sometimes quoted with for instead of in, I looked it up in seven versions. In six of the seven it is in; only one version has four. So I take it that we may understand the word to mean, not " Give thanks for everything, but in everything," which is a different matter.

We can do that. We will do that. 
I often think we must disappoint our Kind Father by not noticing the little things ( as well as the countless great things) that He does to give us pleasure.

 Dear Lord, 
Let me not dissapoint you by not giving thanks in everything. Thank you for a great year, and for the ability to see a New Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment