Sunday, December 5, 2010

December 6, 2010

Weekly Verse
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls
Matthew 11:29
Daily Devotion
" The Life Defined" Hannah Whitall Smith

Most Christians are like a man who was toiling along the road, bending under heavy burden, when a wagon overtook him and the driver kindly offered to help him on his journey. He joyfully accepted the offer, but when seated in the wagon, continued to bend beneath his burden, which he still kept on his shoulders. "Why do you not lay down your burden?" asked the kind-hearted driver. " Oh!" replied the man, " I feel that it is almost too much to ask you to carry me, and I could not think if letting you carry my burden, too"

And so Christians, who have given themselves into the care and keeping of the Lord Jesus, still continue to bend beneath the weight of their burdens and often go weary and heavy-laden throughout the whole length if their journey.

When I speak of burdens, I mean everything that troubles us, whether spiritual or temporal.I mean, first of all, ourselves. Our own daily living, our frames and feelings, our especial weakness and temptations, our peculiar temperaments, our inward affairs of every kind- these are the things that perplex and worry us more than anything else and that bring us most frequently into bondage and darkness. In laying off your burdens, therefore, the first one you must get rid of is yourself.

Dear Lord,
Today, I choose to give you my burdens and my cares. As I take Your yolk upon me, ask You to be with me. Thank you for the promise that I will find rest for my soul. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment