Saturday, January 1, 2011

January 1, 2011


Daily Verse
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.  
Colossians 3:17


Devotion
New Year’s Resolutions

Each New Year’s Day at 12 midnight, millions of New Years Resolutions fall in the form of confetti in Times Square in New York. This year millions of resolutions were thrown from 10 story windows and looked pretty. I have noticed that each New Year usually comes with many resolutions from the ones I love.  In the past I have heard resolutions such as: I am going to lose weight, I am going to be a better role model, I am going to work harder this year, and the list goes on and on. For many years, along with other resolutions I have made, I always include resolutions to get closer to God. These have been to read my Bible more, pray more, and become more involved in church.  These resolutions, however, often look pretty, just like the confetti that fell in Times Square.

This year I heard a very interesting comment from a cynic.  “ Why make New Years resolutions. If you want to do something then get your stuff together and do it. Don’t do it because its and arbitrary date. “ This statement has challenged me. I need to stop wanting and get myself together and just do it! In this New Year this should become a challenge to us.  We should stop planning, hoping, and wishing and Just do it! We must not look back at the previous year and what we have done in the past. We need to look to the future. If God has changed you this past year don’t go back to the old ways. If you are expecting God to do something get ready and when God challenges you to do something change just do it. Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might( Ecc 9:10 a)!

Daily Prayer 
Ask God to help you this New Year to just do whatever resolution you have made! 

No comments:

Post a Comment